Current:Home > ContactDNC accuses RFK Jr. campaign and super PAC of colluding on ballot access effort -Capitatum
DNC accuses RFK Jr. campaign and super PAC of colluding on ballot access effort
Surpassing Quant Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 11:51:26
The Democratic National Committee announced Friday that it is filing a Federal Election Commission complaint against Robert F. Kennedy Jr. 's independent presidential campaign and the super PAC supporting him on allegations the two are colluding to get Kennedy ballot access.
On Dec. 5, super PAC American Values 2024 announced it would invest $10 million to $15 million in ballot access, with the aim of getting Kennedy on the ballot in at least 10 states.
In the FEC complaint, the DNC claims that in the states in which American Values 2024 has announced a ballot access initiative, each "requires the candidate to submit a draft signature petition for state approval, turn in the completed forms, identify the individuals who collected the signatures, and obtain certification for circulators."
The DNC complaint alleges that the super PAC is coordinating "its activity with Mr. Kennedy and his campaign in a way that violates federal campaign finance laws."
"Our complaint asks the FEC to begin an investigation and remedy the violations that they find," DNC legal counsel Robert Lenhard said in a press briefing Friday.
In previous conversations with CBS News, both the super PAC and the Kennedy campaign have said that they have legal experts guiding them through the process, and both are pursuing ballot access separately.
"Rather than doing the hard work itself using money raised in compliance with the candidate contribution limits, the campaign is taking shortcuts," Lenhard said.
In a statement sent to CBS News, Kennedy's campaign manager and daughter-in-law, Amaryllis Fox Kennedy, said, "This is a nonissue being raised by a partisan political entity that seems to be increasingly concerned with its own candidate and viability."
DNC senior adviser Liz Smith, who was also on Friday's press call, said the DNC believes "Robert F. Kennedy Jr.'s campaign and the primary super PAC backing his campaign are illegally coordinating in violation of federal election law."
"What we are witnessing is the outsized illegal influence of individual mega donors like billionaire Tim Mellon, Donald Trump's largest donor in this cycle, who gave American Values the exact $15 million paycheck they said that they would need for ballot access," Smith said.
During the call, reporters asked if the Democratic Party is concerned that Kennedy might peel off votes in swing states as President's Biden age potentially becomes a bigger campaign issue. DNC senior adviser Ramsey Reid replied that the party is "concerned that Donald Trump and his mega-donors are propping up RFK Jr."
The last American Values 2024 FEC report shows that Mellon, who had previously backed former President Donald Trump, was one of the PAC's top donors. Mellon made three different transactions to the super PAC from July 1, 2023, to Dec. 31, 2023, totaling $10 million. According to the FEC report filed in the first half of the year, Mellon had also donated another $5 million.
Fox Kennedy said in the statement that to her "knowledge, we have yet to receive any signatures from American Values PAC or any PAC; nor have we provided any information that is not available to every volunteer and media outlet on our public website."
"I am aware that they have their own signature collection tracker on their public website, but we take our FEC obligation seriously and are not permitted to tell PACs what they should and should not do with their money," Fox Kennedy added.
The co-founder of American Values 2024, Tony Lyons, said in a statement to CBS News that "this FEC complaint is just another desperate DNC tactic to defame Kennedy, vilify him and drain his campaign funds."
- In:
- Robert F. Kennedy Jr.
- Election
Cristina Corujo is a digital journalist covering politics at CBS News. Cristina previously worked at ABC News Digital producing video content and writing stories for its website. Her work can also be found in The Washington Post, NBC and NY1.
veryGood! (864)
Related
- 'Malcolm in the Middle’ to return with new episodes featuring Frankie Muniz
- Colombia soccer president Ramón Jesurún and son arrested after Copa America final
- Natalie Portman Breaks Silence on Benjamin Millepied Divorce
- Hawaiian residents evacuated as wind-swept wildfire in Kaumakani quickly spreads
- Federal hiring is about to get the Trump treatment
- MSNBC’s ‘Morning Joe’ host says he was surprised and disappointed the show was pulled from the air
- Barstool owner rescued by Coast Guard after losing control of boat off Nantucket
- Trump expected to announce his VP running mate today as RNC gets underway
- Federal appeals court upholds $14.25 million fine against Exxon for pollution in Texas
- Judge considers bond for off-duty officer awaiting murder trial after South Carolina shooting
Ranking
- Taylor Swift Eras Archive site launches on singer's 35th birthday. What is it?
- Small plane crashes into river on Maryland’s Eastern Shore, officials say
- Man who filmed deadly torture gets 226 years in prison for killings of 2 Alaska women: In my movies, everybody always dies
- Early Amazon Prime Day 2024 Luggage Deals: 66% Off Samsonite, U.S. Traveler, Traveler's Choice & More
- Behind on your annual reading goal? Books under 200 pages to read before 2024 ends
- JoJo Siwa Reveals Her Home Was Swatted Again
- Emma Roberts Engaged to Actor Cody John: See Her Ring
- Powerball winning numbers for July 15 drawing; jackpot rises to $64 million
Recommendation
Average rate on 30
Untangling Christina Hall's Sprawling Family Tree Amid Josh Hall Divorce
BBC Journalist John Hunt Speaks Out After Wife, Daughters Are Killed in Crossbow Attack
New spacesuit is 'Dune'-inspired and could recycle urine into water
Will the 'Yellowstone' finale be the last episode? What we know about Season 6, spinoffs
Ryan Reynolds Honors Charming 10-Year-Old TikToker Bella Brave After Her Death
Jason Aldean dedicates controversial 'Try That in a Small Town' to Donald Trump after rally shooting
Joe Scarborough criticizes MSNBC for taking 'Morning Joe' off-air Monday: 'Very disappointed'